Sunday, November 13, 2011

Someone's been keeping secrets...

But as of just a few days ago, the secret is finally out. D and I are pregnant again!! Our little one is due May 24th, 2012. We are super cautious but very excited. Here's a pic:





Keeping this secret has been especially difficult. While I was bursting to tell everyone the good news, I knew I had to hold out just in case. 

On a positive note though, things have been looking good since my first appt. (and trust me, I've had quite a few in my short 3 months of pregnancy).  The baby has had a consistently strong heart beat and has measured ahead by a few days at each appointment. I couldn't ask for more. 

This past Wednesday was our NT scan, done at 11 weeks 6 days, and I'm relieved to report that the measurements were great. The doctor said our results couldn't possibly be any better. Once we heard the positive results, we shared our news with everyone. 

It feels amazing to finally be "out." I love that I can finally talk openly about how I'm feeling with my family and share our ultrasounds pictures and DVD. 

I'm also relieved to be "out" among our friends too. More than once in the past 10 weeks or so I've been in a position where I've had to whisper to a waitress or bartender to make my drink without alcohol. Ordering water or virgin drinks on the sly and dodging shots at friends' houses got real old, real fast. ;-)

So where are we now? Well I'm currently 12 weeks and 3 days along. According to The Bump, my baby is about the same size as a plum this week. The Bump also offers this bit of insight: This week baby shifts into the growth and maturation stage. After weeks in the critical development stage, almost all of her systems are fully formed.

As far as symptoms, I've had it pretty easy thus far. No morning sickness, but some general soreness in a few places I'm not willing to mention here. ;-)  I've had a tough time with food and my prenatal vitamin. These two things may be the worst of what I've dealt with. 

I had some serious food aversions for a couple weeks. There was a period of about 3 weeks when I basically lived off of bread. I've never been so grateful for whole wheat bagels. It was all that sounded good. Everything else basically made me gag.

For the most part the food aversions have let up, although I still have my days where I can't eat a thing. Although, the days I COULD eat were sometimes ruined by having to gag on my prenatal vitamin. The gagging induced some puking and this would all generally take place right after dinner. You do the math.

My doctor has been wonderful since day one. I'm so thankful I found him. He listened to my concerns about the PNV and changed them to a vitamin that is MUCH easier to get down. I haven't had a problem since.

So it looks like we are just cruising along now. My next appt. isn't until December 6th. I may possibly be finding out if I am Team Pink or Team Blue that day. We'll see if the baby cooperates. ;-)

Anyway, that is my (long) update. Now that our secret is out, I imagine I will be posting more to track my pregnancy and record every milestone. Life feels good again.  :)

5 comments: